[CT Birds] Upland Sandpipers Hartford, Mississippi Kite Simsbury

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Mon Jul 19 06:10:34 EDT 2010

7/17/10

Hartford - we observed 4 Upland Sandpipers in a field adjacent the pond and field behind Cabelas.  There is a large field to the right of the one directly behind Cabelas that is now cluttered with drum barrels and dumpsters that I don't remember seeing last year.  It is apparently being used as a parking lot for activities occurring at Rentschler Field/Stadium and would certainly disturb any wildlife residing there.  The four birds we saw were in an open, smaller strip of grass that did not contain these objects.  It is located adjacent and along "Runway Rd" which is open to traffic, thus allowing excellent views.

Simsbury, Great Pond - one adult Mississippi Kite soaring over the pond mid-day.

Tom Fiore & Brenda Inskeep
NYC & Stamford