[CT Birds] Penfield Reef and Favorite Birdsong

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 19 16:06:22 EDT 2010

7/19 Fairfield, Penfield Reef

Shorebird migration is picking up. My highlight today was a "Western" Willet that I watched from the safety of my house during the squall. Other highlights included:

1 Great Blue Heron
5 Snowy Egrets
5 Great Egrets
1 Black-crowned Night-Heron
2 Spotted Sandpipers
4 Sanderlings
8 Semipalmated Sandpipers
26 Least Sandpipers
2 Killdeer
1 Fish Crow
1 Ruddy Turnstone
1 Osprey
1 Barn Swallow
3 Least Terns
38 Common Terns

My favorite birdsong has to go to the Wood Thrush. It has the most wonderful quality. Veery is a close second. Other bird songs or calls that I like include: Black-bellied Plover, Upland Sandpiper, American Woodcock, Boreal Owl, Eastern Wood-pewee, Carolina Wren, House Wren, Swainson's Thrush, Hermit Thrush, Ovenbird, Hooded Warbler, Grasshopper Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, and Baltimore Oriole.

James Randall
Fairfield