[CT Birds] hummingbird & bee balm question

Sarah Faulkner sffaulkner at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 23:06:03 EDT 2010

I've seen the hummingbirds come repeatedly over a few days to the same
flower, but even if it looks like they aren't getting anything, don't
deadhead them -- the finches eat the seeds in the winter.  I leave the
flower heads on thru the winter and cut them down in spring, and the birds
have a grand time all during the snowy months.  Same goes for goldenrod,
sunflowers (although they usually get eaten long before fall), heliopsis,
and coneflowers.

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville