[CT Birds] Best bird song discussion on CTBirds

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 19 07:29:56 EDT 2010

The song I love most is the Wood Thrush's song. However it's not necessarily
because I believe it is the most perfectly constructed or the most
melodious. For me it is contextual as well. The haunting beauty of the song
takes me to an almost ethereal memory of all the woods I have walked in my
native Connecticut and renews it every time I hear the refrain anew. These
two lines from Robert Frost's "Come In," matches the memory perfectly: "Far
in the pillared dark, Thrush music went." Now was he writing of Hermit
Thrush or Wood Thrush? It doesn't matter to me. I can hear Wood Thrush song
and smell the musty earth of the forest just reading those lines. The Wood
Thrush is the song of the forests of my childhood and today. Do we not each
of us get a special thrill from hearing the voice of a lover, even if others
would judge that voice ordinary? Late last night I got back form hiking over
two of the White Mountains in NH. At lower elevations I was treated to the
beauty of many Hermit Thrushes singing and higher on the mountains I was
privileged to listen to the singing of many Swainson's Thrushes. I did not
hear any Bicknell's Thrushes on these two peaks alas. So between CT and NH I
have very recently heard nearly all our catharus thrushes as well as Wood
Thrush, and I can juxtaposition them in my mind. So how does one fairly
measure great beauty against great beauty? While each holds a very special
place in my heart, none can supplant Wood Thrush, for me it's a very
personal thing. Through the window I can hear Wood Thrush singing as I write
this, how timely and perfectly beautiful!

Dave

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England