[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club August Field Trips

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 10:45:45 EDT 2010

Folks,

The New Haven Bird Club has the following four field trips in August.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director

Milford Audubon Coastal Center, Milford.  Sunday, August 15,  3:00
pm. Free and open to the public.
Please note the afternoon start time (to coincide with high tide).
Join us as we visit our local birding hot spot where shorebirds
concentrate in late summer as they pause during their long journey to
their wintering grounds in the southern hemisphere.  We may see more
than a dozen shorebird species, including the large waders, such as
Whimbrel and Marbled Godwit.  We’ll look out in the sound for terns,
search the marsh for herons, and look in the gardens for land birds.
Meet at the coastal center parking lot at 3:00 pm.  Leader:  Chris
Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Sunday, August 22, 7:30 AM.  Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge,
Queens, NY. Free and open to the public.
This birding hot spot is a great place to see a wide variety of
shorebirds, herons, terns, and migrating passerines.  It is a great
place for uncommon shorebirds such as American Avocet, Marbled
Godwit, and Buff-breasted, Stilt, and White-rumped Sandpiper.  Meet
at 7:30 am at the commuter lot in Orange at Rte 34 and Greenway Road
(at exits 57/58 of the Wilbur Cross Pkwy).  We will carpool to the
refuge, returning in the late afternoon.  Bring lunch, water, and bug
spray.  Consider a cap and sunscreen, and wear shoes you won't mind
getting muddy.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or
closcalz at optonline.net.

Sunday, August 22, 7:30 AM.  Shore Bird/Tern Workshop.  Free and open
to the public.
COA field seminars focus on one or two groups of birds with the
intent of helping birders improve their identification skills.  At
this workshop, the focus will be on shorebirds and terns.  The
workshop will begin at Sandy Point and then move to Milford Point to
coincide with high tide.  Meet at the parking lot across from the
Captain’s Galley Restaurant in West Haven.  Wear footwear that you
won’t mind getting wet. Check the COA website for details.

Lighthouse Point Bird Walk and Prep for Migration Festival.
Saturday, August 28, 8:00 AM. Free and open to the public.
Park Ranger Dan Barvir and Arne Rosengren will lead the bird walk.
Meet at the Hawk Watch parking lot at Lighthouse Point on New Haven
Harbor. Then at about 9:00 AM, we will perform some light trail
maintenance and cleanup. It’s fun to meet other Club members in this
casual and congenial endeavor, and it’s a great way to enjoy looking
at birds and help preserve their habitat at the same time.  Leaders—
Dan Barvir: 203.946.6086 and Arne Rosengren: 203.248.2903.