[CT Birds] Favorite bird song(s)

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 19 20:04:26 EDT 2010

While I was hiking the long route over Mt Whiteface and Mt Passaconaway in
NH yesterday I was treated to many Winter Wrens singing along the way. I
will certainly say this about them, they always make me smile when I hear
that bubbly crazy song ringing from the mountain sides. But there is another
song that comes to mind in that montane context, White-throated Sparrow. I
took a break just below the summit on the north side of Passaconaway, at
breathtaking overlook with a panoply of mountain peaks arrayed before me
that beggared description. All was silent except the sound of the soft wind
and the flutter of wings from a myriad of aeshnid darner dragonflies darting
through the spruces. Rising up from the mountains flank came the mournful
song of a single White-throated Sparrow far below. Perhaps not beautiful in
the sense of being extraordinary or complex, but perfectly in tune with the
remote location and majestic beauty spread before me. It is no wonder that
birdsong enthralls us so and evokes such wonderful memories and emotions.