[CT Birds] Thrushes and Crows

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 16:25:14 EDT 2010

Wow, thanks Jim Bair!  As a (somewhat reluctant) English  Lit major in the
dim past I can't believe I have never seen or heard of that  Longfellow
poem.  Guess I spent too much time with the guys across the  pond.  A little
long, but a great read, especially from the halfway point.  Here's a link if
you are interested:

_http://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=2047_
(http://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=2047)

Guess I'm a bit of a maverick when it comes to favorite bird  song, or at
least, sound.  Mine is the scream of the Re-tailed Hawk, the  cry the movies
have made emblematic of the wilderness ( and for some reason, the  Bald
eagle).  Close behind, almost a tie, is the evening yodel of the  Common Loon.
Here's a top 10 list for me:

1. Red-tailed hawk
2. Common Loon at dusk, yodeling over a quiet  lake.
3. Carolina Wren ( can't believe something that small can make  that much
noise)
4. Veery (my favorite amongst the thrushes)
5. Winter Wren (a bird I didn't know until 4 years  ago)
6. Wood Thrush
7. Baltimore Oriole
8. Hermit Thrush (beautiful, but a bad copy of the  Veery)
9. Black-capped Chickadee
10. The bird I am listening to, at any given  moment

Don Morgan
Coventry

"Think, every morning when the sun peeps through
The dim, leaf-latticed windows of the grove,
How jubilant the happy birds renew
Their old, melodious madrigals of love!"

H.W. Longfellow