[CT Birds] Other Calls

Andy Griswold agriswold at ctaudubon.org
Wed Jul 21 10:24:07 EDT 2010

Each year in the first few days of August, southeastern Connecticut can expect to hear the first katydids of the year calling, a sign of the summer well on its way and a symphony for those enjoying the sounds of nature.

Interestingly, last night (July 20) I heard katydids calling in three or four different locations about four miles north of Long Island Sound. This is about 11 or 12 days earlier than I have ever heard them. Amazing! I suspect the timing of our "heat wave" has something to do with it.

Has anyone else noticed this early calling? What dates in the past and this year have you noticed the start of their nightly chorus? Another indicator of global warming?

Andrew Griswold, Director
Connecticut Audubon Society EcoTravel
35 Pratt Street, Suite 201
Essex, CT  06426  USA