[CT Birds] Birds in A Stupor

ClutchZat at aol.com ClutchZat at aol.com
Sat Jul 24 14:22:14 EDT 2010

For the past 2 summers, I’ve  observed a few different species of birds
(Robin, Blue Jay, Titmouse) on my lawn  in direct sun on a hot day.
Typically, their mouths are  agape, their wings are opened a bit, they look
askew, and appear to be in a  stupor.
The first couple of times, I was  certain the bird was in trouble.  In
every case, though, after a few moments the bird “comes to” and gives itself a
 shake flying off without any difficulty.
Whazzup?  Some kind of Zen moment?
If they’re cooling off, why don’t  they do that in the shade?  Or take  a
drink of water in the bird bath?
Andy Thiede
Berlin, CT