[CT Birds] Mint and insects

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 14:56:38 EDT 2010

Two years ago I planted "mountain mint"  which I got at a native plant
sale.  It attracts a huge variety of bees, wasps and other insects. What
amazes me is that there is a certain attractive species of wasp that
appears when it flowers and does not touch any other plant. Never saw it
before I planted this type of mint. How do these creatures know that it is
here? The flowers are small and green...almost unnoticeable. Does not look
like any other mint I have seen.

And speaking of bird songs, there's nothing like being awakened by a
Carolina wren perched outside on the bedroom air conditioner. I thought he
was in my room!