[CT Birds] Sharp-shinned Hawk family

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 23:30:37 EDT 2010

I stopped into Bigelow Hollow SP in Union today, and as I was  driving
through the park I heard a bird scream loudly and fly back into the  trees.
When I stopped and listened I heard several similar screams, and my  first
thought was Broad-winged Hawks, but they really didn't sound quite  right.  The
calls got closer and eventually 2 birds came whizzing through  the woods to
the road, and then dashed into the trees again.  I didn't get  much of a
look, they were definitely small hawks, but I wasn't so sure about
Broad-wings.  They were actively flying around and calling just off the  road, and
eventually I spotted one tee'd up on a branch.  At that point I  finally got a
good enough look to ID them as Sharp-shinned Hawks, but the calls  I was
hearing were nothing like what I had on my player.  then I heard,  first one,
then another call with the proper warbling scream, and I realized I  had 2
adults and several fledglings.  I'm quite sure there were 3  youngsters, one
having a much higher and thinner voice than the other 2.  I  determined the
number mostly because of where the screams were coming  from.  It was very
windy, so there is lots of noise in the background, but  I managed to get
recordings of the young screaming, I believe, begging for  mom and dad to come
with lunch.  Since I haven't found any recordings with  this screaming call,
it might be useful for comparison purposes.  Here's a  link to the MP3 track:
I have added a couple of posts to my blog recently, with a few  pics and

Don Morgan,  Coventry

"Think, every morning when the sun peeps through
The dim, leaf-latticed windows of the grove,
How jubilant the happy birds renew
Their old, melodious madrigals of love!"
H.W.  Longfellow