[CT Birds] Swallow movement?

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:29:06 EDT 2010

Don and all,

Swallows have been moving for two if not three weeks, as evidenced by
sightings at Stratford Point and some emails to this list. I frequently
mention them in the CAS blog in the weekly update concerning Stratford
Point, but we have many Barn and Tree, some Northern Rough-winged, a few
Bank and Purple Martins, and once in a while a Cliff. Those breakdowns are
the averages for a daily basis. Purple Martins have been here nonstop for
about a week now, and you can find the usual four species easily. The sites
location on the coast along with the grassland habitat provide a perfect
spot for fall migrant swallows. We have had continual handfuls of other
migrants, and today I had 2 BOBOLINK, 1 ORCHARD ORIOLE, 1 Gray Catbird, 2
empid. flycatchers, etc in addition to 2 PURPLE MARTIN. This is typical now.
If you want an easy location for a four, five, or even six swallow day, come
visit Stratford Point in the next few weeks.

The early breeding season, as a result of a very wet March and warm
spring/summer, only pushed up dates of movement for some species. Very few
people go out and bird in the end of July and during August. Go find your
fall migrants now while very few people are in the field. You never know
what you might see. And please put them in eBird!

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT