[CT Birds] Death of a House Finch

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Jul 29 12:14:58 EDT 2010

In the future contacting a rehabilitator as soon as you are able to catch the birds would be best.  The bird should always be rescued first placed in a shoe box lined only with a towel with a secure ventilated lid and brought inside and placed in a quite place away from people and pets. then worry about locating a rehabilitator. There are many treatable illnesses that can be resolved. The problem with offering water to a sick, dehydrated animal is it will not help them.  Just like you and I they need an electrolyte solution like unflavored pedialyte when sick and dehydrated. I use lactated ringers what we could get by IV in the hospital.

I would be happy to help locate someone who handles any injured/sick bird in the future.

BTW I am caring for 34 chimney swifts currently .. Have not had a group this big in several years!
--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT