[CT Birds] Stratford, Pectoral Sandpiper

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 16:41:03 EDT 2010

A Pectoral Sandpiper was among the shorebirds along the wrack line and
feeding in the pools on the marsh side of Long Beach in Stratford, adjacent  to
the entrance booth.  There are sometimes nice numbers of shorebirds here
and the variety changes a bit from one day to the next. Lately, there have
been  both Western (1)and White-rumped Sandpiper (1) among all the
Semipalmated  Sandpipers etc., although I saw neither today.  This area seems best
within  a hour of high tide.
An attendant is checking for resident stickers, but it is possible to do a
U-turn before the booth and then park along the side of the road headed
back  East. Then, just find an opening in the phragmites and walk carefully
down to  the water's edge.  Or, you might ask the attendant if you can enter
and  park beyond the booth in order to look for shorebirds on the marsh side.
 My guess is that you would have a 50/50 chance of getting in without a
resident  sticker if you are just going to be looking for birds. If that fails,
just park  on the road and find an opening outside the entrance.  The birds
tolerate a  fairly close presence if you move slowly and carefully.  After
awhile, they  just ignore me as they feed or sleep.
Charlie Barnard Jr.