[CT Birds] Hummer Behavior and Baby Cardinal Questions

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Fri Jul 30 09:16:42 EDT 2010

Hi, Barbara!
It seems that competitiveness is par for the course in hummingbird behavior, whether it's between genders or ages, or with other species. We have two arbors loaded with honeysuckle blossoms every summer, more than enough to go around, but you'd think it was the last place on earth to eat, the way the hummers behave! They not only chase each other, but also other feeder birds (who are not interested in the honeysuckle), bees, and butterflies. There's an apple tree between the two arbors and adjacent to the seed feeders, and one hummer will park itself in the tree, ready to chase any interlopers off. It does seem like a lot of energy expended, but it seems to be in their nature.
Here's a link to a hummer behavior site, focusing on aggression: http://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/behavior.php
As for juvenile cardinals, a second batch has appeared in our yard as well. Earlier in the season, the adults fledged a handful of young ones along with a cowbird, and they seem to have been equally prosperous in these later months (minus a cowbird, this time).
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester