[CT Birds] UConn Horsebarn Hill

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 23:16:43 EDT 2010

I counted 14 (including 3 molting males) Bobolinks in 10 minutes this morning
from the edge of the uncut 3 acre section on the east side of Horsebarn Hill.
This implies yet another successful breeding season at this site. The College of
Agriculture and Natural Resources has very generously set aside this same 3 acre
section of their hay fields (a very attractive site for Bobolink) for 4
consecutive years with confirmed Bobolink and Savannah Sparrow breeding success
each year. Eastern Meadowlarks are regularly seen in the general vicinity and
breeding is suspected but I'm not certain if they were successful this year. An
American Kestrel pair were also successful breeding in a box in a tree near the
top of Horsebarn Hill on the west side. Our Purple Martin gourd installation
behind the Young Building (at the gazebo 100 yards south of the Dairy Bar) was
visited twice during the season by martins but no nesting occurred. We hope to
have better luck with martins next year.

Many thanks to our friends at UConn for their cooperation and generous
conservation efforts.
 Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT