[CT Birds] Great Cormorant

Jan Hollerbach smilifase at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 23:39:39 EDT 2010

Perry's Mill Pond area, the parking lot next to the bridge that goes over the stream. Greater Cormorant. Seen last Sunday. I apologize for not posting sooner but I am a new birder and just realized it was a Greater and not Double Crested as I was reading "Lives of North American Birds" tonight.

 I had viewed it's face with my bins from a distance of only 10 feet or so and was taken by the beauty of the orange area behind it's bill and then the area of white behind that. Also it sat higher in the water than I was used to seeing from the DC.  I just assumed I needed to be more attentive to detail of the DC Cormorant. Then when I saw the pix of the Great in the Kaufman book and also checked my field guides, I slapped my forehead and realized I wasn't looking at the DC after all!

Steep learning curve.......

Jan Hollerbach

Sent from my iPhone