[CT Birds] White-tailed Kite-Details

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 1 09:30:05 EDT 2010

I went to Short Beach Stratford to sit for several hours to watch the
shorebirds as the tide went out.

At around 8:00 I noticed some Common Terns attacking another white
bird that was about half again as large. Upon further study, I
noticed it had long pointed wings, a long square tail and black
shoulder patches. I concluded I was looking at a Kite. Further
observations included a black mask. The bird continued to fly south
along the shore and into the trees of Stratford Pt. I have seen this
species before in Louisiana.

I have no cell phone therefore
I drove to the point but it was closed.
I drove to Milford Pt. and no one was around
I drove home and here I am.