[CT Birds] White-tailed Kite yes- 5:30 P.M.

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Aug 2 17:30:43 EDT 2010

Hi All,
We took our Expeditons Summer Camp group of 9 children (10-14 years old) over from the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center to see the White-tailed Kite. It was quite an experience for everyone. They are among the first dozen or so children to see this beautiful rarity. Ebong Udoma from WSHU came by and interviewed the kids, Twan, and me so keep your hears glued to 91.1 fm. The kids were quite excited to be interviewed. I have a bad cold so it will be interesting to see if anyone can understand anything I said. The bird went missing for more than an hour and a half but was finally relocated in at tree near the corner of Riverdale & Ryegate roads... Although some of its body was obscured by leaves, the kids had wonderful looks at it sitting in the tree.  The white head, orange-red eye and yellow gape were clearly visable and the bird seemed unconcerned that it was being viewed by more than thirty people less than 50 yards away. I think Twan is going to post some of the photos on our blog. The owners of the nearby homes even came out for a look...   What a great day!  Frank Gallo (I just received a call that the bird is still in the same tree at 5:30 P.M.)