[CT Birds] Stratford other birds 8/2

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 3 07:02:35 EDT 2010

Hi all,
Monday, 8/2/2010.  Besides finding the White-tailed Kite 6am at Stratford Point
(initially seen with scope from Short Beach), I saw one Purple Martin and many
swallows migrating.  A late-day (5:45pm ?) return visit to the point was
rewarded with the kite actively hunting, to the delight of many birders and
photographers.  Afterwards (6:40 - 7:20, I scanned and scoped the many
shorebirds and terns on the Housatonic River off Short Beach.  Highlights
included 1 Whimbrel, 2 Red Knots, 1 Western Sandpiper (adult with much retained
belly and flank streaking), and 1000+ Common Terns (2 Least Terns).

The day began for Linda & I by waking to the whinny calls of an Eastern Screech
Owl outside our house 4:45-5:00 am; a new yard bird, and a good omen for the day
to come!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT