[CT Birds] Kite trivia -- and some pictures

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Aug 4 22:14:20 EDT 2010

> Interesting
> because when I was there Monday, no one really  knew
> what they are supposed
> to be eating.

Sibley (the big one) says rodents.  The Birder's Handbook says the same thing, but shows insects as a secondary food.

I highly recommend The Birder's Handbook as a handy source of basic information on just about every species in the US.  I think anyone curious about birds would find it valuable.

A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
The Essential Companion to your Identification Guide
Paul R. Ehrlich	David S. Dobkin	Darryl Wheye

It isn't the only such book, and it is a bit dated, but it is laid out for quick reference and that sort of information doesn't change much.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT