[CT Birds] Broad-wing, screech, pileated, and hummingbirds

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 22:30:13 EDT 2010

 CT Birders -

Things are changing! Heard a Broad-wing today along with this evening a little screechy calling. The last few days has had a pileated woodpecker hanging around as well.

The bluebirds fledged their third clutch. The orioles are molting and gorging on mealworms, and the sanctuary is humming with hummingbirds. I added three to the mix, and still have two in rehab. Sadly had one arrived DOA today.

Kingbirds are a regular visitor to the elderberries and keep themselves busy chasing any bird who crosses their air space. :)))  Catbirds are abundant with juveniles everywhere you look. Phoebes, pewee's and scarlet tanagers can also be seen and heard most days, along with a juvenile red tail who is still begging for food. I pray for his independence soon, so that peace can return to the sanctuary.

Still seeing barn swallows and chimney swifts overhead each day.

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT