[CT Birds] Notes and Comments

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri Aug 6 16:00:44 EDT 2010

Hi Folks

This is a mish-mash of stuff

The access road pool has lowered enough to have shorebirds
Greater Yellowlegs 17, Lesser Yellowlegs 14, Least Sandpiper 6

Stratford Marina:
Greater Yellowlegs 51, Lesser Yellowlegs 2, Short-billed Dowitcher
74, Semipalmated Sandpiper 3, Semipalmated Plover 1, Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron 27

I was at  Long Beach in the morning and for a half hour saw quite a
few migrants
Barn Swallow 10
Tree Swallow 4
Later in the morning when things were warmer there were many more
swallow in about the same relative abundance

Willet 18, Short-billed Dowitcher 10
I watched a flock of 8 Willets fly in from the sound,  and circling
the marsh was the Dowitchers and  another 6 Willets.

Chimney Swift 2, Eastern Kingbird 1, Yellow Warbler 6, Red-winged
Blackbird 325
The blackbird were mostly in groups of 10 but I had a flock of 200
fly by.

I also has a Im. Peregrine Falcon land on the telephone pole over my
head. I nearly got white-washed.
One photo showed the bird had a green band on its left leg.

The honor of finding the White-tailed Kite is a little over done.
Finding an accidental is as the name implies an accident. One just
happens to be at the right place at the right time. (I have yet to
see a pelican in Ct.). I would bet that the folks that work at
Stratford Pt. would have seen it eventually. What I would like to
know, is when was the last time someone was at the point before Sunday?

The Eastern Kingbird at Long Beach and earlier at the airport
reminded me to note that we should keep a sharp eye on the Kingbirds,
The Kite has many souther kingbird friends.

People should make an effort to learn shorebird calls, particularly
Godwits and Whimbrels. Not the sounds they make on the breeding
grounds, but the call notes as they fly by.  Often times they are fly-
by birds and an awareness of the calls is needed.

I going through records It occurred to me that there has been a lack
of Black Tern reports.
We used to get a few every spring and in the fall with the migrating
Common Terns.
I don't recall any this year
Last year there was 1 in May in Stamford, 1 in July in Stratford,
one  in August at Milford (15 to 17)  One in Old Saybrook in September

Dennis Varza