[CT Birds] WT Kite at Short Beach

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 7 10:42:02 EDT 2010

I just want to repeat what Scott has been saying about the current movement patterns.  Prior to 7:30 am today, the kite was on a pole right over the unocuppied Stratford Point property.  It was seen well by mob, from the fence of the "fishermens trail," looking in.  After seeing all those NJ, MA and NY plates this morning, it pains me to have to say this:  come real early, ie, at dawn, for close(er) looks.  I spoke to a resident who stated she had it in the neighborhood several times last week around 6:15 am.  During the day, the views seem to be more distant and sporadic.  The Kite has become a very quick, efficient perch feeder and is not a "people-person".

And, to repeat what Julian Hough said in a previous post, thanks to Dennis Varza for getting us all on this bird.  'And thanks to Scott Kruitbosch for his updates, communication, outreach, stewardship and long hours at Stratford Point.

Steve Mayo
Bethany