[CT Birds] Stratford Point/Kite important info, FAQ, sightings

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 21:19:40 EDT 2010

I am asked so many questions through emails and in person, and while I'm
happy to answer them, here is more information on Stratford Point, kite
sightings, etc: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/ - there are also more
ridiculously FANTASTIC contributed pictures of the kite, thank you
gentlemen. Check the blog out even if just for the photos.

The White-tailed Kite was not seen in Stratford this evening. I presume it
flew back from Milford Point over land and ducked down to roost out of sight
to the north. Once again I will open the gate late in the 7 o'clock hour.
PLEASE stay off the actual Stratford Point property until then simply
because it is the only time the kite can feed without much interference.
Watching from Prospect Drive or walking down to the beach is totally and
perfectly fine. I know many people who had great views this way at 5 or 6
this morning, watching it hunt and eat, sitting on telephone poles and in
trees. The site's geography allows you to stay on the perimeter and look in
at it. This is nearly all of the feeding it does during the day now. If we
do not respect the space in the first couple hours after sunrise it will not
be able to hunt properly and it will leave. Simple as that. The kite is
pursued all day now, and has to deal with beachgoers and others totally
ignorant that it is there. If we bother it too much during the critical
hunting hours that will be it.

What we saw on Sunday and Monday was more tolerance for humans because, I
believe, it was quite hungry from a long journey and a bit ignorant of the
local habitat while having a tough time hunting. Now that it has knowledge
of the local area it does not like people or cars even more, which is in
line with the species behavior in typical areas (so I am told - this was a
life bird for me). Do not expect to see the views people had early in the
week with the kite over your head. Do not expect to get photos like the ones
I have posted. Nevertheless, nearly everyone sees it somewhere, and you can
get very nice views while it feeds at Stratford Point. You will still love

It was a great day at Stratford Point even if the kite was there only early.
Other birds included...

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
08/07/10 - Stratford, Stratford Point -- Along with the WHITE-TAILED KITE, 1
"WESTERN" WILLET feeding at low tide, 9+ BOBOLINK, 10+ ORCHARD ORIOLE, 1
of other migrants including a likely Willow Flycatcher and my favorite
sighting of 8 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers feeding together then heading towards
the lighthouse and the sound through the trees on the perimeter. I've never
seen so many together. We get a lot of diurnal migration there.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society