[CT Birds] Kite and more at Milford Point

DEIRDRE MURTHA sdmurtha at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 8 22:07:56 EDT 2010

Deciding to concentrate on shorebirds rather than the local celebrity, we nonetheless had a close encounter with the WHITE- TAILED KITE at Milford Point at about 5:05 pm Sunday.  It flew directly overhead while we stood on the overlook platform beyond the last houses, and continued west till dropping out of site below the grasses.  If it rose again we never saw it in the heat shimmer.From the same point we saw both a MERLIN flyby and a PEREGRINE FALCON (adult) standing on the mudflats, seemingly ignored by passing ducks and egrets. Many SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS and SEMIP. SANDPIPERS seen from this location as well as on the mudflats on the LI sound side, where they were joined by numerous BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS, COMMON TERNS, and RUDDY TURNSTONES, as well as about 10 OYSTERCATCHERS, 3 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, and 3 PIPING PLOVERS.
-Sean and Brendan Murtha