[CT Birds] Bald Eagle in Suffield

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 20:37:44 EDT 2010

This evening I took a walk on the canal towpath on the Suffield side of the river. About 3/4 mile south of the Suffield/Enfield Bridge I noticed a big, oval shape in a tree on the west side of the canal. It was an adult Bald Eagle. The tail was partly hidden by the leaves, but I got a good view of the white head and brown body and a great silhouette of the beak when it turned its head.  This is the first time I have seen an Eagle here in the summer. In the winter I see them from the Enfield Boat launch off King Street.

Other birds along the path were Eastern Kingbird, Cedar Waxwings hawking insects, and Song Sparrows.  On the shallow river were Great Blue Herons, Double Crested Cormorants,  a spotted Sandpiper, Mallards, Ring-billed, Herring, and Greater Black-backed Gulls. In the canal were 2 Wood Ducks.

Louise P. Tucker
Enfield,