[CT Birds] WT Kite tonight/updates

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:49:07 EDT 2010

First, if you missed it, thanks to Scott Vincent for sending in amazing
Brown Pelican photos from yesterday: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

I know many people tried, including many of us at Stratford Point all
morning, afternoon, and night, but no one saw the Brown Pelican again (as
far as I know). No Black Tern, either. The White-tailed Kite was very active
this evening at Stratford Point. It hunted and then ate its meal for around
45-50 minutes. The views were astonishing, and as close or closer than the
first day, August 1st. It seemingly vanished over the water just off
Stratford Point, heading to Short Beach or Milford Point, a bit after 7. It
can be such a stealthy bird when it wants to be. That was the last we saw of
it. As always early mornings or the evenings are the best viewing times.
Unless it's a very unlucky day you won't regret it.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society