[CT Birds] radar screen

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Aug 11 22:00:11 EDT 2010

Well it is "ground clutter" that appears at dusk and disappears by dawn during bird migration.  It is a well known phenomena, though more closely studied in the spring.

Compare these images, one hour apart.  You can even animate the hour with the third link and watch as the clutter magically appears.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KOKX&prod=n0r&bkgr=black&endDate=20100812&endTime=0&duration=0

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KOKX&prod=n0r&bkgr=black&endDate=20100812&endTime=1&duration=0

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KOKX&prod=n0r&bkgr=black&endDate=20100812&endTime=1&duration=1

Some links.