[CT Birds] Barred Owl? Pic Link

Jim Voros voros at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 12 08:34:44 EDT 2010

Well, I think so at least.  It was large enough to be. Coloring was more grey
than brown/rusty.  It was about 5:30pm last night on a road called 'pumping
station road' and unfortunately would be in Westchester county so it can't count
for any official CT sighting list.

Here is the picture.  All I had was my Blackberry so it's the best I could do.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1193/img00169201008111727.jpg

It crossed the road in front of my car, landed on the side of the road, then it
turned around and flew back to where it posed for the shot.

Then it went into a tree.  Other birds calling alarms.

Big wing span, when I first saw it I thought it was a juv. red tail given its
behavior and time of day, except of course the tail was fat and wide and when it
landed it was clearly an owl head.

A nice surprise on the back country roads.