[CT Birds] Chimney swifts

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Aug 12 13:48:13 EDT 2010

 CT Birders -

 A big giant thank you to everyone who took the time to head out and try and figure out where their local swifts were roosting! As many of you quickly found out not so easy to do! I am happy to say as of last night Melissa Baston found the new location that the swifts are nesting at in Southington, minutes away from the sanctuary!  So with all luck I will be able to release the remaining 21 swifts at this very nearby location. So far this season I have released 18 chimney swifts back into the population.

Also an extra special thanks to Jim Dugan and his wife and daughter who split up one evening determined to find their local roost which they did and I promptly drove to New Milford with eight very stressed out swifts who desperately needed their freedom. and got it!

As some of you may know DEP  is actively monitoring chimney swifts population and collecting data and droppings from nesting chimneys and roosts. Any assistance you can give them in regard to nesting chimneys or roosts would be greatly appreciated and directly help the conservation of this incredible bird whose numbers are in an alarming decline.

They are looking for specific addresses or locations, not fly bys, and a specific count of the birds present.

Thanks again everyone for all your help with chimney swifts!

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT