[CT Birds] Kite video and radar

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:05:11 EDT 2010

I shot HD video of the kite again yesterday, and Frank Gallo and Paul Fusco
sent me great pictures: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

As Roy posted last night, there is extensive research and work done on using
radar to track bird movements. We have discussed and utilized radar
extensively for this purpose in the past. I could cite innumerable
meteorology texts on the subject. Insects can be seen as well. Understanding
the very nature of radar is key - the beam itself increases in altitude as
it moves away from the radar site, going thousands of feet in the air. It is
sampling the sky far above the ground in most locations. The containment
that is ground clutter is confined to the immediate area of a radar station.
The beam can go over nearly anything once it clears the radar site with the
exception of natural objects like mountains or man-made structures like
skyscrapers. These would obviously be isolated and identifiable as well. All
of the other points made have been correct as well. I hope more people use
radar to watch bird movement, and keep in mind that much of fall migration
is triggered by cold fronts or other northerly flow events.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT