[CT Birds] Stratford Point and Long Beach

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 15:29:57 EDT 2010

After leaving Milford Point,  I went across to Stratford  Point.  A large
flock of Semipalmated Sandpipers ( I estimated 1100) flew  up from a spot
which is just 70 yards or less to the West of the Stratford  Point lighthouse.
Unfortunately, that spot can't be scoped from the  former gun club
property, since it is tucked away behind the tip of  the point.  There were another
300 to 400 Semipalmated Sandpipers along the  East side of Stratford Point.
Also observed (with Doug Gochfeld from  Brooklyn and another gentleman
whose name I did not catch) was a Black  Tern.  Doug said it was a juvenile,
although I did not make it out well  enough to make that distinction myself.
Near the entrance to Long Beach, on the marsh side, there were 13  Willets,
 1 of which was a Western Willet.
Charlie Barnard Jr.