[CT Birds] Milford black tern

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 12 16:31:37 EDT 2010

As Frank Gallo mentioned, we had a black tern at Milford Point today.  I first saw it very briefly drop in among a mass of commons, where it stayed out of sight for 45 mins or more.  As the tide rose it eventually flushed and gave good views on one of the outer gravel bars.  Once those bars were covered it came much closer and landed on the bar nearest to the beach by the Coastal Center, where it stayed until they were covered too.  It was an adult, with only a little bit of body moult, and was in view until close to high tide .... so seemingly a different bird from the one that Charlie reported from the Stratford side.

Also, I should say that the common tern count that Frank mentioned was undoubtedly on the low side.  Most of the terns were flying beyond the breakwater, which partly blocked the view, and as they were in the air (and it was hazy) I was conservative in my estimates.  There could easily have been a couple of thousand out there.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net