[CT Birds] Hummingbird Information

Lorraine Gundersen raineg at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 17:38:41 EDT 2010

   A recent knee replacement has kept me grounded to the yard for bird
watching. The last two days there has been an escalation in the
Hummingbird activity around the nectar feeders. I have a total of 7
Ruby throated hummingbirds (2 male, 5 female or immature ) vying for a
place to feed.
   For my yard this is very unusual. I do get Hummingbirds but only
one at a time. Has there been an increase in Hummingbird population?
Are these migrating birds or a result in a very successful breeding
   Thanks for any input. It does make for a great arial show and a
pleasant way to past the time.

Lorraine Gundersen
Guilford, CT