[CT Birds] WT Kite Stratford Point 650-710PM

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:52:13 EDT 2010

Around that time the White-tailed Kite was at Stratford Point, as usual. It
hunted, grabbed what looked like a small vole, ate it near where it made the
kill, and flew off in the usual pattern. Once again I say come early
morning, sunrise to 8, or the evening, 5-8. It is about as easy as it gets
right now. We have a very set schedule and I want to keep it that way. In
the middle of the day it will be in unknown places or isolated areas. It can
usually be found, and sometimes will appear in a good spot (say Short
Beach), but the "regulars" can back me up in saying the morning or the
evening. The last few nights have been right on time and fantastic.

I will open the gate at Stratford Point this weekend. Please do NOT go onto
the property before I open the gate in the morning. Walk around the
perimeter, or follow the path to the beach to view it. Even being on
Prospect Drive can provide great views, believe me. We must let the kite
hunt in the early morning without being bothered. This is why it was here
today for a 14th day. If we upset it while it hunts early it will leave. We
have a very set system and it is very happy with it. Let's keep it that way
for the kite and everyone who has yet to see it. Nothing is guaranteed, but
the last few days have been quite easy, and I am sure it is because we are
all being responsible and keeping to a set pattern. There are obviously
plenty of other birds to look at or for at Stratford Point, too.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society