[CT Birds] WT Kite Stratford Point 700-725PM

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 21:30:09 EDT 2010

First, I put together another short White-tailed Kite HD video. I got close
to it (without bothering it) sitting on its favorite feeding perch, and then
hovering with the amusing moment of scratching at a bug near the end:
http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

The kite arrived right at 7 tonight, after an increasingly anxious large
crowd watched it attempting to hunt at Milford Point from Stratford for
about an hour. It went through the normal routine while I tried to reassure
everyone, and it showed up slightly later than average. I said to everyone
that despite the fact many scopes and eyes were on it constantly we would
probably not see it sneak up - and we didn't see it until it was just about
to its usual spot in front of the main building. It put on a good show for
the exceptionally relieved and happy group and hunted for 15-20 minutes. It
ate its moderately sized catch on the rocks by the lighthouse, then lifted
off several minutes later to roost for the night. Everything went perfectly
today, with visitors getting great views early and late. Remember that
nothing is guaranteed...but this is as close as it can be.

Let us please continue this perfectly set pattern tomorrow. Please do not go
onto the property before I open the gate in the morning so that it can hunt
without any disturbance. Walk around the perimeter, or follow the path to
the beach to view it and you will not be disappointed. I may close the gate
again in the middle of the day, but it will be open in the late afternoon
tomorrow for the evening crowd. Everything is working well for the kite and
all of us. Thank you all for coming today and being so responsible and kind.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT