[CT Birds] Still plenty of Warblers up north

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 15 10:58:44 EDT 2010

Yesterday I hiked North Twin, South Twin, and Galehead Mountains in the
White Mountains of New Hampshire. It was a roughly 15 mile hike and took
about 8 hours so I had plenty of time to assess the birdlife. I was curious
to see how many breeding birds were still around. It can be quite tough to
gauge this time of year because so many breeding birds have gone nearly
silent at this point in the year. However I did encounter quite a few
warblers still, and some were still feeding fledged young. I did not carry
bins (hey it’s bad enough carrying the weight of water, food, and emergency
gear on these rugged hikes) so I had to id birds by naked eye or sound.
There were many Yellow-rumpeds (no surprise), Black-polls, a Bay-breasted,
Magnolias, Redstarts, probable Blackburnian, Black-throated Green (many),
Black-throated Blue (many), and Black-and-white. Thrushes were only briefly
seen wraiths in the dark but one Swainson’s called very quietly once as it
shot off giving away it’s id. What I found particularly interesting was how
the Blackpolls had mostly moved lower on the mountains than during the
nesting period. A couple of other notes; I once again turned up Boreal
Chickadees (I can’t remember the last White Mt hike when I missed them), and
I heard something calling incessantly from the top of a Spruce that I not
only couldn’t identify, I can’t even swear it was a bird. There is NOTHING
that frustrates me more than a sound in the woods I don’t recognize. I
actually assessed whether I could climb the spruce in question. You know you
are obsessed with curiosity when you actually consider whether those ¾ inch
rotten branches would hold your weight. My fast diminishing sanity won out
this time.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England