[CT Birds] Milford Pt Caspian Tern/inland shorebirding

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 17:30:47 EDT 2010

All, just a note on the Caspian Tern.  Jay, Bill and I saw this bird fly past us on the sound side of the property around 8:30 AM or so, continue westm fly across the river and into Stratford.  In the minute or so we were watching, it never landed.  It could be nearby still, or it could be in New Jersey by now.

I don't want to add to the kite controversy but I do agree with Scott K's comments.  Give the bird some space.  If birders can't do the right thing in this regard who is going to?  I know there were at least two folks who drove there from upstate NY, maybe hours away, who might not have seen the bird today because of the bird being flushed.  Not cool.

As an inlander, one thing that is cool right now is that, as a few have posted, there are opportunities to see some decent shorebirds well away from the coast due to the dry conditions which we're experiencing now.  Any decent sized lake, reservoir or river area with mudflats and reasonably little human disturbance can be productive.  The Colebrook River Lake has excellent mud on the northern end of it right now.  A flat at Nepaug Reservoir that in the past has produced some excellent finds such as golden-plover, Upland and Stilt Sandpipers has become exposed in the past several days.  Further afield from me, I had some success at Babcock Pond in Colchester a couple of days ago, and Fitchville Pond in Bozrah was great on Friday and Saturday.  No screaming rarities but a nice opportunity to see shorebirds in some locales where they are not ordinarily found.  And as far as rarities are concerned, it's like the lottery -- "hey, ya never know".  The more you check, the luckier you get!

Worth a check right now at your favorite watering hole.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT