[CT Birds] Milford Canoe Tour and Purple Martin Article

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 13:56:24 EDT 2010

Hi all,
Shorebird numbers continue to build at Milford Point.  Yesterday's New Haven Bird Club trip turned up the Western Willet, a Red Knot in alternate plumage, 2-3 Piping Plovers (there have been 9 all week), and a young Forster's Tern among the many hundreds of shorebirds on the bars. The large group of terns, nearing 2000 two nights ago, has left but some Common Terns remain. I also counted 17 Least Terns today, 13 adults and 4 young, one of which was fed by an adult as I watched.
It was a full house on our canoe tour, Saturday, with 10 canoes, and 3 Kayaks joining us. Late summer and fall are exiting times to paddle the marsh; you just never know what will turn up.  Saturday's intrepid paddlers were treated to great views of roosting herons and egrets, including 17 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons (our high so far this season), 1 Black-crowned Night Heron, 9 Great Egrets, 1 Snowy Egret, as well as quick looks at a Saltmarsh Sparrow and views of a number of different Shorebirds. The Swallow migration is in full swing, and Barn Swallows along with a few Tree Swallows were streaming by during the entire trip. Ospreys were everywhere and our resident young Red-tailed Hawk was screaming to be fed from the trees near Court Street.
Our next canoe tour is Aug. 28, 12:45-3:15 p.m.  It's filling quickly, so please call soon if you'd like to reserve a space.  There are several tours in September, and the full fall schedule is listed on our webpage www.ctaudbon.org, under the heading Coastal Center. There will be a special Fall Foliage tour on Sunday, October 24th, 11:00 a.m. -1:30 p.m. that should also be good for waterfowl.. We're looking forward to it. If you're planning on attending the Stratford Bird Festival  http://home.earthlink.net/~write_dave/greatmeadowsmarshbirdingfestival/, on Saturday, September 25, spaces have been reserved for birders on our 11:30-2 p.m., canoe tour.

Our First birding class of the fall is:
Sorting Out Bird Songs
Wednesday, September 15, 7 – 9 p.m.
Birdsong can be an incredible aid to finding and identifying birds. Instructor Frank Gallo, an avid student of birdsong, will introduce the basics of birding by ear, using sound resources, as well as the tips, tricks, and even pitfalls to indentifying birds by sound. Is that an oriole or a tanager singing? Could that be a hermit thrush calling or a catbird? Come find out, as we delve into the basics of birding by ear. Meet at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. Fee: $35.

... and our first Charle's Island Walks are
Charles Island Explorations
Wednesday, September 8 at 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, September 12 at 8:00 a.m.
Check our webpage for details or call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502
A quick note on the Purple Martin article in the NY Times. It states that Purple Martins are completely dependent on people, but it is not true.  In the west, they nest in Saguaro Cacti and they have been known to nest in tree cavities...
Good Birding!  Frank Gallo