[CT Birds] Insect population

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 18 16:52:32 EDT 2010

I do a fair bit of hiking in CT and NH. My experience has been, it depends
where you are. A couple of weeks ago I hiked over Mt. Whiteface and Mt.
Passaconaway in the White Mountains and there were many Darners high on the
peaks. The only species I could id (no net) was Variable Darner. I also ran
into a fair number of Black Flies on North and South Twin Mountains last
week. I would say that there have been fewer mosquitoes in general around up
there than usual. In CT I have run into far fewer mosquitoes than I would
expect lately, but about what I would expect for Dragonflies and some
Butterflies, while other Butterflies seem low in number. Any decrease in
insect populations would of course affect insectivorous birds such as
Swallows or Swifts, particularly in breeding success. This is all anecdotal
of course!

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England