[CT Birds] WT Kite no

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:01:16 EDT 2010

The White-tailed Kite did not reappear at Stratford Point this evening, nor
was it visible across the way in Milford. After what Twan saw this morning,
with it hanging out at Stratford Point for several hours, this did not shock
me in the least. You may recall that I said last night was the first night
it left after coming to Stratford Point without catching prey. I presume
this morning it ate more and, having very few people around, continued to
feed and ended up still "full" tonight. I highly doubt it left considering
the low pressure system to our south and the ongoing molt. The nights it has
not appeared after getting into a routine the first few days of August are
8/7, 8/15, and now 8/18. Otherwise it has offered amazing views every night.
The best location is still Stratford Point early, sunrise to 8 or later
sometimes, or in the evening, 5-8. It is viewable best at Milford Point in
the mid day hours, often on a sandbar or in cedar trees down the beach, both
of which can be viewed from the observation tower at the Coastal Center.
Many times it cannot be found in the middle of the day. Otherwise we had a
couple goodies...

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
08/18/10 - Stratford, Stratford Point -- 1 WHIMBREL around 7:30PM, 1

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society