[CT Birds] Is anybody looking for warblers?

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Fri Aug 20 21:14:55 EDT 2010

Warblers are being reported in many areas nearby with at least 12 species noted in Central Park over the past week, but I haven't noticed too many reports from CT yet.

On 8/19/10 ~

Cove Island Bird Sanctuary, Stamford - early morning:
Warblers: Black-throated Green, Black-and-White, American Redstart (2), one bright Nashville.
A brief evening stop today after birding elsewhere, 8/20 - Bobolink (2), empid (1), Indigo Bunting (1, juv), several kingbirds.

Also 8/19 - continuing at Cummings Park, Stamford:
Snow Goose in the company of many Canadian friends.  Yesterday he was preoccupied by the challenge of eating an almost whole apple.  Silly goose!

Stamford Avenue, LI Sound, 8/19 2:30 pm:
I watched one Black Tern feeding, with good views, for at least 15 minutes then, to my surprise, two more showed up and they started chasing each other while feeding as well, all keeping fairly close to the surface; a real treat after having seen many during trips north this summer.

In reference to recent posts about insect populations, I have also noticed fewer bugs this year, most noticeably the biting type and even spiders that I've been looking for.  While camping with Tom Fiore this summer in northern New England and, later, the Adirondacks along with visits to many coastal CT sites there was an obvious absence in overall numbers at most locations compared to the same areas last year.  Often not needed were mosquito coils and bug repellent, except for areas where Black Flies were a nuisance.  And during a recent weeklong (non-birding) trip to Ohio, there was also a lack of mosquitoes and other insects in general.  Although it's been nice to enjoy outdoor activities without the annoyance of being eaten alive, I would think it's had some kind of affect on birds and other insect-loving creatures.  I haven't been able to locate much information about the topic online, but in talking with experts, lack of moisture this summer means fewer flowers and thriving plant life which means fewer insects and possibly fewer offspring due to reduction of food sources.  And with fewer insects this year (to deposit eggs), I wonder what influence it will have on the crop next year as well as bird populations overall and migration in general.  Who knows!

Although not bird related, does anyone know what effect these dry conditions will have on fall colors?

Brenda Inskeep