[CT Birds] Kite, LB Dowitcher +, 8/21

MResch8702 at aol.com MResch8702 at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 19:00:35 EDT 2010

Had a great morning birding in Stratford and Milford today  (8/21).  Many
thanks to all you CT birders for all those posts  that keep us informed about
the if/and/buts about the Kite and Long-billed  Dowitcher.  Especially
thanks to Scott Kruitbosch for his Kite details and  Roy Harvey for his daily
Stratford Point - Arrived at 5:50 AM -
I first spotted the White-tailed Kite at 6:03 flying behind the buildings,
and again at 6:15.  Both views distant from the road.  Also had a
Red-breasted Nuthatch.  Next found the Kite perched distantly on a cedar on  Milford
Point just before 7 AM where it stayed till about 7:30 when I moved  on.  A
Peregrine made a couple passes around the point during that  time.
Also on the beach was a "Western" Willet.
Stratford Marina - end of Broad Street
At first light there were 17 Yellow-cr. Night Herons but no shorebirds in
the channel along Broad Street
At 7:30 still no shorebirds in the channel, so I walked to the Marina, and
with permission, walked to the south end of the Marina where I found a
mixed  flock of Yellowlegs and Dowitchers roosting on a floating metal walkway.
I  counted 60 Yellowlegs (mostly Greaters), 27 Short-billed Dowitchers and
1  Long-billed Dowitcher.  It was an adult molting out of alternate plumage,
 with some basic feathering on the back.
Access Road Pond, Stratford - 8:00
-  60 Semi Sands
-  10 Least Sands
-  2 SB Dowitchers
-  2 Semi Plovers
-  1 Lesser Yellowlegs
Milford Point - 9-10 AM
With many other birders we had a great collection of shorebirds, but no
Kite.  Highlight was one Whimbrel found by Roy Harvey (thanks Roy!).   Other
shorebirds present were BB Plovers, Semi Plovers (100s each), Sanderlings,
Turnstones, Semi Sandpipers, 2 Oystercatchers, Willets.  1 Kestrel perched
on a Cedar trying to imitate a Kite.
>From Mike Resch -
8/21/10 Stratford Point - White-tailed Kite - 6:03-6:15 AM.  Seen at
Milford Point 7-7:30.  1 Red-breasted Nuthatch.  1 Western  Willet.  1 Peregrine
Stratford Marina - 5:40 AM - 17 Yellow-Crowned Night Herons
7:30 AM 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, 27 Short-billed Dowitchers, 60 Yellowlegs
(mostly Greaters)
Access Road Pond - 60 Semi Sands, 10 Least Sands, 2 SB  Dowitchers, 2 Semi
Plovers, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs
Milford Point - 1 Whimbrel, 1 Kestrel
Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA