[CT Birds] Hanover Pond, Meriden

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 19:24:33 EDT 2010

Between errands this afternoon I scoped Hanover Pond in Meriden. I
first visited this site a month ago and noted a fair amount of
mudflats and dead snags that deserved close monitoring...but
unfortunately I didn't get back there until today. Water levels were
higher today, but there were still some muddy edges for shorebirds and
plenty of shallow water for long-legged waders. This site is prime for
something like a Neotropic Cormorant, White Ibis, Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck etc etc. I hope nothing too good slipped through
already! Tomorrow's rains might cover the remaining mudflats.

Here are some of today's birds:

3 Wood Duck
30 Mallard
American Black Duck