[CT Birds] Hanover Pond, Meriden

Joseph Budrow jbudrow at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 21 20:17:27 EDT 2010

I was at the Pond this morning at 10:30ish and didn't stay too long. I recorded 7 great egrets and about 8 GBHs. Each a record for a single stop. Also, that overgrown spit that juts out as the Quinnipiac River enters is the most overgrown I have ever seen. Purple loosestrife abounds along its length. The Pond is definitely a magnet for migrants at this time. The mudflats aren't as big as usual, tho. I saw the grebe, too, as it escaped around a far island. That guy may be staying around as I saw a pair here back in April or so.

Joe B