[CT Birds] Westport Sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:18:20 EDT 2010

8/22/10 - Sherwood Island SP - 61 LAUGHING GULLS,BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS,KILLDEER,SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS on the model airplane field
              Compo Beach Marina - 1 juvenile COMMON LOON,presumably avoiding the easterly swells

8/23/10 - Grays Creek - 10 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS,SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS & PLOVERS,GREATER YELLOWLEGS
              Grace Salmon Park - SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS & PLOVERS
              Compo Beach - 12 RUDDY TURNSTONES,4 GREATER YELLOWLEGS,SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS & PLOVERS
              Sherwood Island SP - BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS,SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS & PLOVERS,KILLDEER on the model airplane field.I also watched
                    two juvenile COOPERS HAWKS trying to catch squirrels unsuccessfully for about 15 minutes and they appeared to be working as a team on
                    the west side.

              E.R.Strait Marina(Longshore Park) - I spotted the same juvenile COMMON LOON from yesterday in the marina close to the gas dock.This may be just a
              coincidence,but,both today and yesterday,this bird appeared tired,eyes closing.Never feeding or preening or swimming about.

Tina Green
Westport