[CT Birds] Migration predictions

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 26 09:03:51 EDT 2010

Okay, time to put some predictions out. Well the previous blocking weather
we have been experiencing is clearing out today. Northwest winds are
predicted. Over the last few days we have had a few reports of migrant
songbirds in CT, which is what I would have expected given the conditions of
open skies to our north. But now it is time for good migration weather
across CT and things are going to change. There should be a shake-up in
shorebirds with many heading out today and tomorrow. This might be the time
the White-tailed Kite moves as well (I hope not but it has to go sometime)
so if it is around today, and you haven't seen it yet, maybe you should take
a ride. This has to have been THE best moderated CT rarity ever, thanks to
all but especially Scott. Very well done indeed. With NW winds the
hawkwatches will be getting birds, both raptor and songbird. Also watch for
butterfly and dragonfly migrants!

Now on to songbirds. With the clearing out and NW winds following on,
songbird migration will be starting in earnest. That doesn't mean they will
be dripping from the trees but it does mean we should be turning our
attention to the woodland as well. This is prime time for some
nice-to-find-in-CT birds, like Mourning Warbler and Olive-sided Flycatcher.
Last weekend my daughter and I found a Connecticut Warbler in NH in one of
the many roving mixed flocks we encountered, so that's another possibility
here. Anytime we have NW winds overnight between now and November, there
will be a songbird movement, with neotropical migrants dominating till early
October.  Any sharp cold front passages will bring big movements/changes
here in CT. Good luck.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England