[CT Birds] nighthawks & swifts

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Aug 26 20:06:07 EDT 2010

CT Birders -

Last night while counting a swift roost at St. Josephs school in Meriden I also got to count common nighthawks as the cloud deck lowered the birds descended all around us joining the swifts dining on the insects. At least several hundred came through.

Ended up going back to New Milford where the roost was larger and releasing six more swifts this afternoon. Thanks to Jim for monitoring that roost! Unfortunately the swifts are not welcome at the Meriden location and despite my efforts to convince the Pastor not to cap the chimney I believe that is what is going to happen once the roost empties out. I feel like this entire summer was spent trying and failing to convince people not to cap their chimneys once they discover swifts in them.

It is VERY discouraging!

For Roy -
8/26 --- Meriden ---- Several hundred COMMON NIGHTHAWKS
--