[CT Birds] Common Nighthawks in Stamford

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Thu Aug 26 20:43:55 EDT 2010

Greetings to all,

This evening while at Cove Island Bird Sanctuary hoping for nighthawks, I wasn't disappointed.  At 6:45 pm, one appeared over the tree-line, then eventually another and another with at least 20 in all flying over and towards Wallack's Point where I could see them at a distance feeding for a while before they moved on.  Thinking they might be headed towards Shippan, I drove home and rode my bike around the neighborhood and managed to find a couple more, mainly along the coastline where there was an abundance of dragonflies.  Incidentally, while at Cove Island I noticed a good number of dragonflies this evening as compared to relatively low numbers on previous days and remembered last year that I observed a large group of nighthawks along East Main St. in Stamford that lingered and fed among a very large swarm of dragonflies (more than I have seen, ever).  So perhaps it's a good idea to look for nighthawks in areas where there are also a lot of dragonflies.

Also while at the end of Stamford Ave. at sunset, there was a dark cloud of birds moving south.  I have no idea what they were, but it was pretty neat to see against the burnt orange glow on the horizon (a sunset almost as gorgeous as some I've seen out west) and illumination of Manhattan skyline.  It was a reminder that tonight might be a good night to watch the moon for silhouettes of migrating birds.

Also at Cove - one Bobolink seen with David Winston.

Brenda Inskeep